Thursday, February 7, 2013

P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

Ps, I Love Youhttp://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=S*4/FsYOoLE&subid=&offerid=258185.1&type=10&tmpid=9309&RD_PARM1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kobobooks.com%2Febook%2FPS-I-Love-You%2Fbook-pB-VBeGosUawT7a4VlUuzA%2Fpage1.html%3Fs%3DWGexNlszTEafO6bTH4g-KQ%2526r%3D2
#ThrowbackThursday
rating: 3stars (2.8)

From Kobo:
A wonderfully warm and heartfelt debut from a stunning new talent. Everyone needs a guardian angel! Some people wait their whole lives to find their soul mates. But not Holly and Gerry. Childhood sweethearts, they could finish each other's sentences and even when they fought, they laughed. No one could imagine Holly and Gerry without each other. Until the unthinkable happens. Gerry's death devastates Holly. But as her 30th birthday looms, Gerry comes back to her. He's left her a bundle of notes, one for each of the months after his death, gently guiding Holly into her new life without him, each note signed 'PS, I Love You'. As the notes are gradually opened, and as the year unfolds, Holly is both cheered up and challenged. The man who knows her better than anyone sets out to teach her that life goes on. With some help from her friends, and her noisy and loving family, Holly finds herself laughing, crying, singing, dancing -- and being braver than ever before. Life is for living, she realises -- but it always helps if there's an angel watching over you.

My Review:
P.S. I Love You is about love. Holly and Gerry have been together since they were teenagers. They are childhood sweethearts and soul mates. And more importantly best friends. Gerry dies and now Holly must learn to live without him.
Let me start by saying that this was perhaps not the best book to read for this game as it is long and quite emotional. I usually do not like lead female characters who are very dependent on others. Holly would seem like a character I would not like but the subject matter made me feel for her. She had the love of her life and to become a widow at such a young age would make any person more than just a little depressed. Gerry cares for her even after he is dead by leaving her a series of letters. The most important thing about these letters is that it gives her his blessing for her to keep moving forward with her life. So often when people we love leave our lives some times it may feel like you are betraying the person by having fun, falling in love, or whatever else the case may be.
This book has been sitting on my shelf for well over a year. Every time I look that it I would just say I am just not in the mood for what I thought would be a sappy book. Like I said above it may not be the best book for the relay but it is a great read. I can't say I can relate but I was in a relationship for years and when it ended I was lost for awhile. I missed our friendship most of all. And that to me is why the book is about love. If you are in a relationship and the two of you are truly friends then I think you will enjoy this book.
Note: I know that the likelihood of this ever really happening (the letters) is slim but I’m leaving this book on my boyfriend’s nightstand. I don’t want letters after he’s dead as I hope we have a long time together. But maybe it’ll spark some kind love note every now and then. LOL…a girl can hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment